What is Victim Services Huron Perth County?

Victim Services Huron Perth is a volunteer driven agency dedicated to providing short term emotional support, practical assistance and community referrals to victims and survivors of crime, trauma and tragic circumstance in partnership with community stakeholders and emergency services.

What programs and services are offered to help victims of crime and tragedy?

As an organization we offer a variety of programs and services designed to help people cope with crime and tragic circumstance such as:

  • 24/7 Crisis Intervention at the request of Police, EMS or Fire.
  • Emotional Support
  • On-Scene Support
  • Stakeholder Advocacy
  • Community Referrals
  • Safety Planning
  • Victim Quick Response Program + (V.Q.R.P.+)
  • Proactive Education Opportunities
  • Resources for Anyone in Our Community

Check out our Programs and Services tab under About Us for more information.

What can Victim Services do for me?

Victim Services can provide immediate emotional support and help connect you with appropriate local resources and referrals to help you with long-term coping.

How can I submit a referral?

There are many ways you can submit a referral, whether it is for yourself or for someone else.

Phone: 519 – 600 – 4108

Email : info@victimserviceshuronperth.ca

Fax: 519 – 600 – 4150.

How do I become a volunteer for VSHC?

Volunteers are a critical part of Victim Services. They help victims and their families heal during the immediate crisis. They also develop valuable skills in areas such as crisis intervention, fundraising and more.

Minimum Requirements to Volunteer With Us Include:

  • You need to be at least 18 years old
  • You must have a valid driver’s licence, access to a vehicle, proof of insurance, access to the internet and a recently completed Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS).
  • Must participate in a 40 hours of mandatory online training and continue to participate in monthly trainings and skill building activities.
  • Committed to being a Crisis Response Volunteer for a minimum of 1 year.
  • Must be available to be “on-call” for a minimum of 24 hours a month. If you are “on-call”, this means that you are available during the time you signed up for on your shift. You do not have to sit in an office and wait for a call, nor will you always get a call during that time as we are an ‘as needed’ service, but you do need to be accessible by phone and be able to respond or attend crisis calls as needed.

Check out our Volunteer Application Tab under Get Involved to see the full application.

Does Victim Services work for the Police?

Although our office is located within the OPP detachment in Clinton, we do not work for the police, as we are a not-for-profit organization. We have a strong partnership with our local police department; however, we are an independent agency and operate as such.

What is the difference between Victim Services and the Victim/Witness Assistance Program?

If you are a victim or witness of a violent crime, it is likely that you will need to go to court. This can be a difficult and confusing experience. You may have a lot of questions about the criminal court system, and what will be expected of you. The Victim/Witness Assistance Program will talk to you and provide assistance based on your specific case and needs. Their services begin once police have laid charges and will continue until the court case is over. You can reach the Goderich Victim/Witness Assistance Program at 519-524-4085.